Pheasant Pot Pie
Great recipe for Pheasant! Portions can be increased and several pot pies can be made at one time. Freeze any extra pot pies for later. Increase temp to 400 degrees and cook for 1 hour.
Prep: 35 mins
Cook: 1 hr 5 mins
2 cups chicken broth
1 pound pheasant, cut into bite-size pieces
1 cup chopped carrots
1 pinch of Garlic
1/2 yellow onion, chopped
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 (15 ounce) can peas, drained
1/3 cup salted butter
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried sage
1/2 teaspoon ground celery seed
2 9-inch refrigerated pie crusts
1 egg white, beaten
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Add pheasant in saucepan and saute with Garlic and onion until cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the onion and garlic for those picky eaters that do not like it.
- Bring broth to a boil in a pot; add carrots, and celery and cook about 15 minutes. Add peas to broth and boil for 1 more minute. Drain and reserve broth from pot.
- Melt butter in a separate pot over medium heat about 5 minutes. Gradually stir flour into butter until smooth. Pour reserved broth and milk into flour mixture, stirring constantly. Add salt, rosemary, pepper, sage, and celery seed to broth mixture and simmer over medium-low heat until sauce is thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Lower oven temperature to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Press 1 pie crust into a pie plate and lightly brush with egg white.
- Bake crust in the oven until lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Spoon about 1/4 of the pheasant-vegetable mixture into the baked pie crust. Mix remaining pheasant-vegetable mixture into the sauce; pour into baked pie crust. Place second crust on top of the filling, pinching the edges together to form a seal. Cut your initials into the top crust for ventilation.
- Bake in the oven until top is golden brown, about 40 minutes.